New Work from Academy Fellows, Staff, and Friends
From David Freedberg
- Iconoclasm, University of Chicago Press, 2021.
- “Seven Keys to Kentridge.” Introductory essay in William Kentridge, Why Should I Hesitate: Sculpture, 25–57. Cape Town: Norval Foundation; Cologne: Koenig Books, 2020.
- “Warburg’s Dialectics.” In A Warburg Workbook, edited by Thies Ibold, 40–43. Hamburg: Thies Ibold, 2020.
- Martina Ardizzi, F. Ferron, F. Siri, M.A. Umiltà, A. Cotti, M. Calbi, E. Fadda, D. Freedberg, and V. Gallese. “Beholders’ Sensorimotor Engagement Enhances Aesthetic Rating of Pictorial Facial Expressions of Pain.” Psychological Research 84 (2020): 370–79.
- Ulrich Kirk, Lau Lilleholt, and David Freedberg. “Cognitive Framing Modulates Emotional Processing through Dorsolateral Prefrontal Cortex and Ventrolateral Prefrontal Cortex Networks: A Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging Study.” Brain and Behavior 10, no. 9 (September 2020): 1–8.
- Mel W. Khaw, Phoebe Nichols, and David Freedberg. “Uncertainty-based Overestimation in the Perception of Group Actions.” Vision Research 179 (February 2020): 42–52.
- David Freedberg and Antonio Pennisi. “The Body in the Picture: The Lesson of Phantom Limbs and the Origins of the BIID.” Reti, saperi, linguaggi 7, no. 1 (January 2020): 5–50.
- “Rembrandt’s O’s and Rembrandt’s I’s: Rembrandt and Contemporary Self-Portraiture.” In Visions of the Self: Rembrandt and Now, 29–59. New York and London: Gagosian/Rizzoli, 2020. Published to commemorate an exhibition presented by Gagosian in partnership with English Heritage, April–May 2019.
From Barbara Faedda
- Rule of Law: Cases, Strategies, and Interpretations. Barbara Faedda, ed., Ronzani, 2021. With essays by David Freedberg and others including Giuliano Amato, Bridgette Baldwin, John D. Bessler, Mary Bosworth, Marina Calloni, Maria Adele Carrai, Paolo Carta, Victoria Chenaut, Paul Craig, Jacques deLisle, Francesca Esposito, Andriani Fili, Anna Elisabetta Galeotti, Paul Gowder, Kate Gunn, Antara Haldar, Stellina Jolly, Chelsey L. Kivland, Masao Kotani, Anna Loretoni, Bruce McIvor, Luca CM Melchionna, Hoolo ‘Nyane, Gianluigi Palombella, Irene Pasquetto, Jothie Rajah, Julio Ríos-Figueroa, Costanza Sciubba Caniglia, Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, Kenneth Stow, and Maartje van der Woude.
- Faedda, Barbara. “Fashion and Technology. Hand and Machine in (High-End) Fashion Design,” in The Routledge Companion to Fashion Studies, by Eugenia Paulicelli et al., Routledge, 2021.
- Faedda, Barbara. Élite: Cultura Italiana e Statunitense Tra Settecento e Novecento. Ronzani Numeri, 2020.
- Faedda, Barbara. “Lorenzo Da Ponte and the New York Cultural Élite” in Un Ponte Di Musica: Itinerari dell’Opera Italiana in America, by Claudio Orazi, Zecchini, 2020.
From Fellows and Former Fellows of the Academy
- Giulia Torromino, “Investigating the negative bias towards artificial intelligence: Effects of prior assignment of AI-authorship on the aesthetic appreciation of abstract paintings,” in Computers in Human Behavior, 2022.
- Giulia Torromino, “Thalamo-hippocampal pathway regulates incidental memory capacity in mice,” in Nature Communications, 2022.
- Giulia Torromino, “Altered heparan sulfate metabolism during development triggers dopamine-dependent autistic-behaviours in models of lysosomal storage disorders,” in Nature Communications, 2022.
- Giulia Torromino, “A Standardized Prospective Memory Evaluation of the Effects of COVID-19 Confinement on Young Students,” in Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2021.
- Pierre Losson, The Return of Cultural Heritage to Latin America: Nationalism, Policy, and Politics in Colombia, Mexico, and Peru, 2021
- Arthur Prat-Carrabin, "Bias and variance of the Bayesian-mean decoder," in Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, 2021.
- Dusan Boric, "Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on the Mesolithic in Europe Foraging Assemblages," 2021.
- Vanessa Roghi, "Small Town: A Common Story of Heroin," in LITaly: New Italian Writing in Translation, 2021.
- José Antonio González Zarandona, "Digital spectres: the Notre-Dame effect," in International Journal of Heritage Studies, 2021.
- Magnus Tessing Schneider, "Don Giovanni’s Reasons: Thoughts on a Masterpiece," 2021.
- Daniele F. Maras, “La costa tarquiniese: un paesaggio in divenire tra la Preistoria e l’età contemporanea,” in SPOLIA: Annual Journal of Medieval Studies, Essays 2021, anno XVII, n. 7 n.s.
- Pierre Losson, “Opening Pandora’s Box: Will the Return of Cultural Heritage Objects to Their Country of Origin Empty Western Museums?,” in The Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society, 2021.
- Francesca Bartolini, Maria Elena Pero (Bodini Fellow), “Pathogenic role of delta 2 tubulin in bortezomib-induced peripheral neuropathy,” in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 2021.
- Julie Parato, “The microtubule cytoskeleton at the synapse,” in Science Direct, 2021.
- Paolo Pellegrini, Dante Alighieri: Una vita, Giulio Einaudi, 2021
- Marina Calloni, “Donne sull’orlo di un lockdown,” in Book of the Year 2021, Treccani, 2021.
- Pierre Losson (with Felicity Bodenstein), "La France s’honorerait en proposant de rendre au Nigeria les bronzes du Bénin qu’elle possède" in La Monde Afrique, 2021.
- Pierre Losson, "Review of Scott Cynthia, Cultural Diplomacy and the Heritage of Empire: Negotiating Post-Colonial Returns," International Journal of Cultural Property, 2020.
- José Antonio González Zarandona (with Cristina Garduño Freeman), "Digital Spectres: the Notre-Dame effect," in International Journal of Heritage Studies, 2020.
- Foraging Assemblages: Papers Presented at the Ninth International Conference on the Mesolithic in Europe, Belgrade 2015, Dušan Borić, coeditor; 121 contributions; a joint venture between the Serbian Archaeological Society and the Italian Academy (with the Nomis Foundation), 2020.
- Marina Calloni (Bodini Fellow), “Women, Minorities, Populism,” in Minorities and Populism – Critical Perspectives from South Asia and Europe, 2020.
- Gianmarco de Felice (Weinberg Fellow), “Discrete and Continuous Approaches for the Failure Analysis of Masonry Structures Subjected to Settlements,” in Frontiers in Built Environment, 2020.
- Alessia Mastrodonato (Bodini Fellow), “Prophylactic (R,S)-ketamin,” in Behavioral Brain Research, 2020.
- Manuela Piazza, “Distance and Direction Codes Underlie Navigation of a Novel Semantic Space in the Human Brain,” in The Journal of Neuroscience, 2020.
- Antonio Gonzalez Zarandona, Murujuga: Rock Art, Heritage, and Landscape Iconoclasm, UPenn Press, 2020.
- Daniele F. Maras, “La costa tarquiniese: un paesaggio in divenire tra la Preistoria e l’età contemporanea,” from SPOLIA. Annual Journal of Medieval Studies, Essays 2021, anno XVII, n. 7 n.s.
- Daniele F. Maras, “External influences: “Hellenization,” “Romanization,” “Mediterraneization” (6th - 3rd cent. BCE)” from No 20 (2020): Proceedings of the International Conference “Palaeoeuropean Languages and Epigraphic Cultures. Challenges and Research Approaches.”
- Daniele F. Maras, “Dal Tumulo Chigi alla Veio dei re,” in Annali della Fondazione per il Museo “Claudio Faina,” 2020.
- Marina Calloni, “Razza e Istruzione. Le leggi antiebraiche del 1938,” an exhibition and online collection of resources about the 1938 Racial Laws of Fascist Italy, published online, 2020.
- Marta Benenti, “Expressiveness – Perception and Emotions in the Experience of Expressive Objects,” De Gruyter, 2020.
- Rich Benjamin, “When Will I Be Able to Retire This Essay?” Esquire Magazine, 2020.
- Gianmarco de Felice (Weinberg Fellow), “Fragile cultural heritage and the sustainable technology that can protect it during earthquakes” in Frontiers in Built Environment, 2020.