Mariangela Zappia is the Italian Ambassador to the United States of America. A career diplomat with over thirty-five years of experience, she is the first woman in her country to hold this position, as she was the first woman Permanent Representative of Italy to the United Nations in New York and to the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). She has also been the first woman Diplomatic Advisor to the Italian Prime Minister and G7/G20 Sherpa.
MOST RELEVANT EXPERIENCES
• Permanent Representative of Italy to the UN in New York (2018 – 2021);
• Diplomatic Advisor to the Prime Minister of Italy and G7-G20 Sherpa (2016-2018);
• Permanent Representative of Italy to NATO in Brussels (2014-2016);
• Head of the European Union Delegation to the UN and other International Organization in Geneva (2011-2014);
• Ministry Plenipotentiary at the Permanent Mission of Italy to the UN and other International Organizations in Geneva (2007-2011);
• Special assignment as coordinator of major events under the Italian Presidency of the G8 in 2009, including on violence against women and women peace and security;
• Head of the Mediterranean, the Middle East and Balkans Department for Development Cooperation at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rome (2007);
• From 2003 to 2006 she dedicated herself full time to her family;
• First Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of Italy to the UN in New York (2000-2003);
• First Counsellor, at the Italian Embassy in Brussels (1997-2000);
• Counsellor, in charge of the relations with Italian press and media at the Press and Information Service and Office of the Spokesperson of the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Rome (1994-1997);
• She had previously served at the Consulate General of Italy in New York (1990-1993) and at the Italian Embassy in Dakar (1986-1990).
She holds a Master degree in Political Science and International Relations from the University of Florence and a Post-graduate degree in Diplomatic and International Relations from the same University. She has followed periodic high-level training courses on diplomatic practice and management at the Diplomatic Academy of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rome.
• She has published on the Reform of the Security Council and on the Contribution of Italy to UN peace-keeping operations;
• She is a regular speaker at international conferences on Italian Foreign policy, multilateral and global issue.
She speaks fluent English and French, and has a good knowledge of Spanish.
She has been awarded the decoration of “Commendatore” (Commander) of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic.
She is an active member of the International Gender Champions Network aimed at promoting gender parity and women’s participation in decision-making. In 2019 she was awarded with the “Mela d’Oro” (Golden Apple) by the “Fondazione Marisa Bellisario” in recognition of her contribution to the advancement of women in public institutions.
She’s the mother of Claire, 28, and Christian, 24.
Ambassador Mariangela Zappia